The history of Lakeside, Arizona, is inextricably linked with that of Pinetop—although until 1984 they were separate areas legally and historically. Many residents, as well as the U.S. Post Office, still consider them distinctly separate communities.
By the mid-1880s, there were few settlers in this area, primarily comprised of six Latter Day Saints (Mormon) families. Around 1884, Hans Hansen, Sr., a native of Denmark, was called by the church to represent the area as bishop of the Show Low ward. At that time, the ward extended from Fort Apache to Linden and Adair (Fools’ Hollow). In 1891, Bishop Hansen’s home burned and he relocated from the Show Low are to Warren Ranch in Pinetop. In 1893, he bought a squatter’s right to a small log house in Woodland, for which he paid twenty head of cattle.
In addition to the bishop, Woodland was also home to the Stock family, Albert Crandall (father to the first child born in Woodland), Alex McCleve, John Marvin, AI Young, Ezra West, and a Spanish family who appeared wealthy.
Hansen, a mason bricklayer, and his son, Hans Hansen, Jr., worked in the building trade. Hans, Jr. did the rockwork at Fort Apache, and built many of the first houses in White River and two-story brick houses in the area.
Billy Scorse, the only permanent resident of Lakeside before the Mormons moved to the area, operated the only store in Lakeside, and is the namesake of Billy Creek. Scorse also grew hay, but seems have sold liquor to the troublesome Fort Apache soldiers as his primary source of income. He owned the Last Chance Saloon and 40 acres on the creek along with squatter’s rights to in-town land.
In the 1890s, development of farms and orchards are historically noted along with legal disputes concerning water rights. This also was the approximate time of the emergence of formal schooling, which until then had be held in family homes, woodsheds, and root houses. A school district was formed in 1896, which provided classes only two to five months a year.